Kensington Lift-off Portable Notebook Computer Cooling Stand

>> Tuesday

http://www.squidoo.com/laptop-stand

The cooler solution for notebook users. The Lift-off Portable Cooling Stand helps keep your notebook running cooler, longer. Park your computer as in a docking station, and the cooling stand lifts the notebook to promote airflow and reduce heat buildup. Adjustable tilt and height lets you put the screen where you want it, and reduces neck and eye strain. Lightweight, collapsible stand has built-in handle and fits into computer carrying case for fold-and-go portability. Non-skid base holds the notebook safely in place. Compatible with notebook/laptop computers up to 17".





Technical Details

  • Portable computer cooling stand holds your laptop like a docking station, and helps keep it running cooler, longer.
  • Stand lifts the notebook off its surface, promoting air circulation and reducing heat buildup.
  • Adjustable tilt and height lets you position the screen to reduce neck and eye strain.
  • Lightweight and collapsible stand with built-in handle fits neatly into computer carrying case.
  • Non-skid base holds notebook computers up to 17" safely in place.



I LOVE IT, August 25, 2007 By Pallbear (Boston, MA USA)


I looked at about 8 different cooling stands all over the net until I narrowed it down to this one and something called the iLap, which was over 3 times more expensive than this one. My primary criteria for the stand was that it be able to be used while lying down flat on my back not just while sitting at a table/desk or upright on my lap. Another criteria was that it keep my clothing from getting hot from the laptop but that it not have to use one of my USB ports or electricity to power a fan like some of the cooling stands did. And lastly that it fit my 13.3" MacBook. Both Kensington and iLap fit all of this criteria. I ordered this one from Amazon and the iLap from the Apple Store. Both had near 5 star reviews.





The Kensington arrived about 3 days later and I began using it immediately. My primary worries turned out not to be issues when I opened the box and acutually was able to see the product. Those worries concerned two issues.

1. That the laptop would not really be cooler because it would touch the base of the stand which appeared to be a flat sheet of V shaped plastic. The unit actually has a large square hole on the top side to allow air to flow to the laptop base.

2. The laptop would slip around since there didn't seem to be anything to hold it in place (the iLap had a removable suede cushioned lip to hold the computer in place). Again this was unfounded because the same large square hole in the top side had a rubber (or rubber like anyway) ring all the way around it which holds the laptop in place. As a bonus it also fit my 15" Dell laptop. Both the 13.3" and the 15" laptops hang over the sides of the stand but that's not an issue. And the unit can easily be used while laying down in bed without raising the laptop too high or requiring me to place my hands at a weird uncomfortable angle in order to type or use the trackpad.





On the other hand the iLap arrived a day latter and was totally unusable. The removable suede cushion on the iLap required me to place my hands high above the laptop in a really awkward position in order to use the keyboard while lying down and using it without the cushion so I could position my hands comfortably resulted in the laptop not being stable and sliding all over the place. Additionally there was no opening in the iLap to allow air circulation although the stand was made out of aluminum with sand-blasted and silver anodized finish.



Bottom line I kept this Kensington stand (and I'm using it right now) and sent the iLap back for a refund.



I highly recommend this stand. And if it turns out not to be too durable as some have hypothesized and only lasts a year that will cost less than a nickel a day and I will just buy another one. However I don't believe this is going to happen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP